First Aid For Electrical Shock

  • If you suspect that an electrical shock has knocked a person unconscious, approach very carefully. Do not touch the victim unless the electricity has been turned off.
  • Shut off the power at the plug, circuit breaker, or fuse box. Simply shutting off an appliance does not remove the shock hazard. Use a dry stick to move a wire or drowned power line from the victim. Keep in mind that you also are in danger until the power is off.
  • If the person’s breathing is weak or has stopped, follow the steps for mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
  • Even if the victims returns to consciousness, call for medical help. While waiting, cover the victim with a blanket or coat to keep him or her warm. Place a blanket underneath the body if the surface is cold. Be sure the person lies flat if conscious, with legs raised. If the victim is unconscious, place him or her on one side, with a pillow supporting the head. Do not give the victim anything to eat or drink.
  • Electrical burns can extend deep into the tissue, even when they appear minor. Do not put butter, household remedies, or sprays on burns without a doctor’s instruction. Do not use ice or cold water on an electrical burn that is more than two inches across.


Powered by Blogger.