HAZARDS LIKELY TO LEAD TO FIRE


HAZARDS LIKELY TO LEAD TO FIRE
From the moment a fire starts to the point where the structure is fully engulfed is usually less than two minutes, which is why it is so important for occupants to get out of the home as quickly as possible and not try to put out a large fire themselves.

A majority of these fires are preventable with some forethought and care to minimize the risks. Here are the eight most common causes of house fires as identified by the National Fire Protection Association.

1. KITCHENS AND COOKING EQUIPMENT
• Deep fat fryers.
• Cooking food left unattended.
• Faulty electrical appliances.
• Toasters/microwaves left unattended or poorly sited.
• Combustible materials left too close to source of ignition.
2. WIRING HAZARDS
Overloaded sockets.
Defective wiring.
All electrical work should be done by a properly trained person.
3. SMOKING HAZARDS
The tip of a cigarette reaches very high temperatures.
4. EXTERNAL SECURITY
• An arsonist will take any opportunity to start a fire.
• Windows to rooms that are not in use should be kept shut.
• All windows should be closed when the building is unoccupied.
• Keep all combustible materials clear of site perimeter.
5. EXTERNAL WASTE STORAGE
• Builders’ skips and rubbish bins are attractive to arsonists.
• If sited close to a building, fire may spread from a bin to the building.
• Place skips a suitable distance from the nearest building.
6. PORTABLE AND FIXED HEATERS
• Placing combustibles too close.
• Covering air vents on top of heaters.
• Fixed appliances sited incorrectly.
• Portable heaters left running without supervision.

Powered by Blogger.